Legal Assistance & Advocacy
Crisis Center of West Texas employs two attorneys as a part of our Legal Assistance Program. Through the program, our attorneys are available to provide representation on civil issues such as protective orders for family violence, stalking, or sexual assault, divorce, child custody, child support, SACPR cases, and immigration.
Crisis Center of West Texas also assigns each victim a Case Manager. The Case Manager acts as an advocate and assists victims of domestic or sexual violence as they participate in the criminal justice system. Advocates educate, support, and accompany victims as they prepare for the court process. All services are free of charge. Services include:
- Explanation of law enforcement and legal procedures.
- Updates on the status of the investigation and the court case.
- Accompaniment to the County Attorney’ office, the District Attorney’s office and court.
- Referrals for therapy, medical services and other community resources.
- Information on probation and parole.
- Assistance in applying to Crime Victims’ Compensation.